Followers

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The paint is drying

We left Duncan this morning to visit the RV Museum here in town. The place is still under construction but they charge admission anyway. We noticed that we caught a bad moment when someone actually was there to collect such fees. Others who came in after us just wandered in to look for something to see. Basically, there are a number of old trailers and some motorhomes on display in one hall and in another some vendor has a few of their new trailers in display. Upstairs was a library and a display of folks the RV Industry decided to honor for their contribution.

I took some pics which will be available on my phanfare pages but I spent most of my time perusing old RV magazines and catalogs in the library. I tried to find out where it was that we camped back in the mid 70s on the east side of Florida where the folks went to a ball in the clubhouse in tuxes and evening gowns. It left an indelible impression on us as camping to us was still tent or VW bus based. Here we saw big rigs and I can't help wondering what those big rigs were. Apparently it was all something we simply didn't know about and therefore very impressed but today those rigs look puny indeed. Where did they even keep their fancy duds?

For lunch we went to a place called Buffalo Wild Wings. Its a chain of some kind. Being that we had seen a number of places which served and sold Buffalo meat, it was natural for Marlies to misread the sign. I asked her if she wanted to share an order of wings with me and she said, 'no, I'd rather have a chicken sandwich'. I asked if she was sure and she told me that she wanted no part of buffalo meat which she assumed I was ordering. Wings, is buffalo meat? Well, if it says buffalo it must be. After a good laugh I cleared up the story of where chicken wings originated. Even the waitress didn't know that.

Back to Walmart for more shopping and then it was back to Duncan where we expected our coach to be almost done. It wasn't. The awning still hadn't arrived and the painting was taking longer then anticipated. They didn't bring the coach out till about 7pm. The painter then dropped the bad news on me. The clearcoat would have to dry at least 24 hours for him to wet sand it and bring up to the standard of the rest of the coach. That meant Saturday except for the fact that he has to go to Pittsburgh Friday afternoon to catch a graduation ceremony of his sister Saturday morning. Unless I can get someone else to do this on Saturday, this means another weekend of hanging around.

I'm also not very pleased with how they removed some of the protective film on the front end in order to paint where the old awning used to be. I know they had no choice but it doesn't look good to have brand new shiny paint right next to a faded film cover over a white painted background. I guess you have to see it to understand. The film yellows somewhat and this shows over white more then any other color.

We'll see what the morning will bring when I discuss this with Jim Deavers.

No comments: