Followers

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Holland, MI

Left Charlotte, MI fairly early this morning. I had chosen the Oak Grove Resort Campground in Holland, MI as our destination. It was thusly described:

"Rated one of the Best Parks in Michigan". WOODALL'S RATED 5/4 AND TRAILER LIFE RATED 9/9/8.5 A Family Resort located within walking distance of Lake Macatawa and Lake Michigan Beaches. Enjoy fishing, boating, shopping malls, golfing and miles of paved bike trails.

http://www.michcampgrounds.com/oakgrove/



The rates were $45/night and I figured this to be a really, really nice place. Our Garmin was not used as the cigarette lighters which bring juice to the unit were not functional all of a sudden. Must have been the floor guy who did something to the dash. So I tried the RVs GPS. It could not find the place as per the address. So I gave it a nearby highway US33 and off we went. I took the long way on major interstate 69 to get there. Once we got into the vicinity of Holland we roamed around for about $50 in diesel before we finally found the place. The directions were simply aweful - among the worst I've ever had to follow. I called their number twice to get back to were we were supposed to be. The directions were simply wrong and also misprinted. Also, they tell you to go west or east on some road when you have no idea which way that is. So we finally get there. The place is a hole in the wall. I drive the car in to see where I might fit. Didn't seem like anywhere. I go back into the office intent on getting my $180 back. They claim that 45 foot coaches come in here all the time. Yeah, sure but not where they told me to go. I find a path and place where I might fit and park the car there. I walk back to the coach and get Marlies to key in the code for the gate as I couldn't reach down that far. She walks ahead of me and we maneuver into lot 115 but not before I knock over the post for the lot opposite of me. The streets are like 6 foot paths. If anybody parks across from me I'll never get out.

Anyway, we were both reaking and badly in need of a shower so we stayed and took our showers. Finally we have sewer and water connections again. The coach was also smelling badly and we needed to dump our tanks. Great to have all that in ship shape again.

I try to set up the satellite but it can't find a signal for all the trees. I connect the cable but can't get the TV to recognize it. I do have FOX News on a local channel somewhat hazy but at least it's something to get their version of the news over the next four days.

I have no idea what is wrong with the TV and the cable. This used to work fine on the old TV with my Pronto. The Pronto is dead as it needs a new battery - I think. WI-FI works fine which is a saving grace. So I look for a new battery but find that my TSU2000 is somewhat dated and I have to call Philips support to find a source for batteries. I ordered two at $25 each plus shipping and have them going to Duncan System second day air from IL. Doubt if there is an airline on the way but at least I'll have it when I get there next week.

I will drag Marlies out of here and have dinner someplace now.

No comments: