Followers

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Duncan and waiting some more

Yesterday Mike fixed the generator/fuse/wiring problem and a few other little things. I'll get to see exactly what went on when I get the bill. The old awning was removed and the holes temporarily puttied shut.

Today is painting day. We'll see what comes out in about an hour.

Marlies and I went out for lunch as usual. I watch "Curb your Enthusiasm" on HBO quite often and the latest episode had David order Cob Salad. A whole story was woven around this meal. So here we were at Bob Evans and there was Cob Salad. I had never seen this before and I ordered it. Great and delicious.

I had purchased 8 cartons of wood flooring for the coach and had two left over. I wanted to keep one and return the other but I had given the receipt to Irv Kaufman so he could collect about $80 in rebates to spend at Menards. So, without a receipt, I went to look for a Menards here in Elkhart. Found one and asked about returning the wood without a receipt. They pointed to a machine where one slides his credit card in to get a receipt of prior purchases right then and there printed out. Marvelous. They credited me with about $90 and we went looking around Menards. I was in 7th heaven. This store is absolutely wonderful for anybody who buys things like I do on a regular basis from Lowes or Home Depot. It should be a model for both stores to follow. We found things we could use and promptly spent the $90 back again. I don't know how to describe the store except in superlatives. They have everything in many versions and everything is neatly organized and touchable. Basically, I've never seen a store with so much stock and variety. In every isle someone would offer to help and at the checkout the clerks call you over to an empty register. I was so impressed that I bought a Menards hat for 10 bucks. I can only dream about having one in Naples.

Marlies then asked for a quick stop at Kmart to come back to reality. Then it was back to waiting - in the waiting room - at Duncan's - again. Tomorrow the correct awning is supposed to arrive. We'll see.

Last night I fiddled with this computer and learned a bit more about Vista. I ripped several CDs down and played with the multi-media software. At some point I'd like to have all my music cataloged in a library. So far so good. I deleted McAfee and installed Norton as I already had a Norton license. Explorer hung up a few times. Don't know the cause of that yet.

10pm - just came back from an aweful movie. When you walk in to movie vestibule, there is no information available about the content of the various shows playing. It just so happened that the closest movie was Hostel-2. We had no idea this was a snuff movie and had only three other people in there with us. I don't know why but we stayed until the very end just to see what would happen to the heroin. She survived and took her revenge.

This evening Jim Deaver and I discussed some tiny little cracks appearing in the blue part of the side of the coach near the door. I wanted him to buff these out and paint the area over. He told me that these are defects in the fiberglass used by Newmar back then and that there is really nothing that can be done about them as they will always reappear after a while. They are especially visible in dark backgrounds under certain light conditions. This is a bummer. He will not paint coaches older then 2004 in a dark color for this reason. I mean this is not visible unless one does a very close inspection but it bothers me that there is a defect in the coach's skin. This only appears on the two side panels. Jim says he replaces such panels about once a month for customers of all brands. This s not just a Newmar problem.

Otherwise we should be leaving here by Friday at the latest. So, we'll be heading back to Florida over the weekend but not in the same rush we used to get here, ie two days. We may take three or four. :-)

No comments: