Followers

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

cafebritt.com - a visit to a coffee brewer and exporter

Today we drove the far boonies above Heredia here in coffeeland to see how coffee is grown and prepared for sale. We found out that about 20% of the country is being used to grow coffee.

We arrived much too early as the first tour does not start until 11 AM. So we had ample time to mosey around the shop, the gardens and the coffee bushes. Everybody there spoke at least some English and was most eager to be pleasant and helpful. First order of the day was to visit the shop and coffee bar. A latte was good but not like a Starbucks. It was too weak with too much milk but what do I know about a proper latte. I like to taste the coffee. Marlies enjoyed her decaf but we were told that this would not be the real thing. Shop prices were quite steep so we didn't buy any souvenirs as we normally do.

So out we go to the gardens to take some pictures and there we met the manager of the place, Mario Porras P. who took us under his wings and gave us a preliminary private tour with detailed explanations of the operation. He wanted to treat us to a cup of coffee but I explained I already had a latte. He asked how I liked it. Well, I told him that I liked my Starbucks better. Oh my! I said the wrong thing because these folks think they are several levels above their competition selling the creme de la creme of coffees all over the world. He inquired as to how I like my coffee and then had the barista make me a special cup. Marlies got a latte too but like the one I had earlier. They explained that individual taste is paramount and that one needs to tell the barista how to prepare for one's taste. Gee! This time it came out better then a Starbucks and tempers were soothed. Apparently I needed a double hit and to stir the result.

Eventually it was time for the tour and two hours later we were experts in coffee making - not really. The entire process is extremely complicated and takes years to master. Coffee is a fruit and sweet. This sugar has to be removed and many other processes are involved in the prep and roasting phases. The beans have to be just right on the bush and are picked one by one as they are ready. This means a coffee bush is picked over many times to find the proper beans. The company contracts with approx. 1000 growers who use no fertilizer to get organic beans from their plots. They get $1.50 for a full basket of ripe beans which will result in maybe 1 pound of coffee at the end of the process. The tour itself costs $16 per person without lunch. Everybody stayed for lunch except us as we had already eaten an early lunch with our coffee.

I had intended to visit the Poas volcano after the tour but the skys looked too threatening and we decided to get back to our appartment instead. The afternoon rains are getting to be a problem as they pretty much kill the rest of the day. But we have time. I made reservations at a nice hotel near the airport for the 30th as we don't want the local rooster spectacle to ruin our anniversary night. I don't know what roosters hope to gain by making so much noise every 3 seconds. They don't believe in breaktime.

More in my phanfare pics.
        

No comments: